Whether you’re having people over for the big football game or are hosting a movie night, home theater seating can offer the best viewing experience for the event. The unique design of home-theater seating helps to recreate a similar feeling of being in a movie theater or stadium, but the soft, plush materials and reclining seats make it all much more comfortable.
When searching for home theater chairs, look for these features to find the best solution for your needs and space. The perfect seating solution is comfortable, convenient, functional, durable and, of course, stylish.
1. Easy-to-clean upholstery. Low-maintenance seating means you can spend less time cleaning up after yourself and more time watching your favorite shows. If you have kids, keep in mind that darker colors can make spills and stains harder to see.
2. Plush cushioning. Some chairs are comfortable enough to sit on for 30 minutes or an hour, but you need your home-theater furniture to provide comfort for an entire afternoon. One movie can last two hours and if you’re hosting a movie-marathon event, you’re probably watching two or three. If you’re having friends over for food and football, you can expect people to be sitting anywhere from three to four hours. Look for seats that have heavily padded seats and plush seatbacks.
3. Drink holders. Cup holders are very convenient for you and your guests. They prevent anyone from having to get up out of the chair for a drink, and instead of having to lean over to pick up their drink from a coffee table or end table, your guests can simply grab their beverage without having to move at all.
4. The right number of seats. A home-theater seating setup is no good if there isn’t room for everyone to enjoy it. Consider the size of your family and the size of your typical get-together before choosing the appropriate number of seats your home theater should have.
5. Additional storage space. Some home-theater seating sets come with storage ottomans or center consoles that can help keep your room organized. Take advantage of these features. Ottomans can work both as a foot rest and storage compartment, and center consoles can provide storage room without taking up a lot of space.
Pay attention to the features included with each home theater seating set you consider. They might seem like minor details, but these features can improve or detract from your overall viewing experience.